Scott, To Be Certain

DISCOURSE, DIGRESSION AND DIATRIBE FOR YOUR DAILY DIGESTION

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Retro Is The New New

S2BC has now officially been around "a while".

To commemorate the distinct lack of occasion, I thought it might be worth looking back (anger optional) at what S2BC was "up to" one year ago.

If S2BC were Janet Jackson, this post would obviously be called "1 Y.O.".

For the record, this was Janet 1 Y.A.G.O:



That's one funky big band.

Anyway, the real order of the day is not food but RETROSPECTIVES. It so happens S2BC has quite the penchant for such things.

So with additional ado - here 'tis.

It appears the order of that day was - *gasp* - Australian Idol!

Hmmm - lamenting the competitors' collective mediocrity but nonetheless absolutely raving about one female singer of Polynesian origin in particular.

How times (fail to) change!

That photo of Emily going in for the tongue is a beaut though.

Here it is again:



And now another:



Lisa Whelchel would be disgusted.


"Tell me about it"

9 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "BRISBANE COURT 2, LEVEL 1
    Before Registrar Bint"

    Pity the poor disputants trying to keep a straight face when they appear before Registrar Bint.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Scott said…

    Well done Manxzilla - you have remembered S2BC's fondness for the word "bint".

    Hilariously, there is some academic debate about the origin of this word. My favourite contention is that it's a portmanteau of the words "bitch" and "cunt".

    This flies in the face (so to speak) of another contention that it's only a "slightly derogatory term for a young woman".

    Perhaps Emily et al should reposition themselves as "Bintz" for their next single. They could release a range of dolls in their likeness, with their own appropriately oversized heads.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe it also means بِنْت

    Perhaps Marcia should slap that between her wee eyes when she's feeling all 'spiritual'.

    In late breaking news, IOYC has come out of retirement! Why didn't I read about this in MX?

     
  • At 4:09 PM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Scott said…

    You are absolutely correct.

    Re IOYC: a massive oversight indeed - thanks for heads up.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Hules said…

    I followed that link to the top twenty songs of 2005.

    I had completely missed some of those, and I'm now thinking that my so-called supplier of 'Hot Tracks' isn't doing his job.

    Although, I'm suprised "Racey Lacey" didn't make it into your chart.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger weasel said…

    Scott, do you by any chance love popjustice? Just a hunch. Besides the Girls Aloud worship, one presumes that

    S2BC has now officially been around "a while".

    is some sort of homage.

    Brilliant.

     
  • At 11:59 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger weasel said…

    Oh, there it is in your links.

    Oh well, great pastiche regardless.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Scott said…

    Yes, I think it's safe to say I adore Popjustice. I don't consider to ever be engaging in pastiche, however the occasional homage no doubt creeps in.

    For the record, I think
    this
    summarises why Popjustice is in a class of his own.

     
  • At 7:24 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger weasel said…

    Well I think pastiche is not entirely indefensible as a description, but I wasn;t intending to be anything other than complimentary, so we'll go with my original choice of 'homage'.

    That IS a good example of the PJ oeuvre, I must say (although they should fix it so it says 'check four' instead of having 'check three' twice). I liked 'Hang On? Where The Hell Is New Year' even more though - still my favourite Sugababes song.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home