Scott, To Be Certain

DISCOURSE, DIGRESSION AND DIATRIBE FOR YOUR DAILY DIGESTION

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hudson 1 Knowles 0

I'm loving that someone from American Idol has won an Oscar.


"I wanted to look like him," claims Britney

But even more than that, I simply can't get enough of the riotous sing-off between Jennifer Hudson and Beyoncé during the Oscar ceremony.



It's like musical bloodsport, isn't it? They're all smiles and sass but you just know they want to spike each other's eyeballs with a compass like a toothpick through a cocktail olive.

At least they got the casting right. Beyoncé's voice is definitely no match for the bellowing force of the J-Hud vocal cords.

In fact, when you think about it, Jennifer has been doling out the incomparable spine-tinglers - and honing her diva-craft - since her American Idol days.

Check out her performance of Barry Manilow's "Weekend in New England" the night before she was ejected from that series. It is one of the finest Idol performances ever.



It's worth listening to in full, particularly the judges' comments:

Simon Cowell: "You've created...a battle of the divas. I'm sure you all really love each other... Not. How do you feel?"

J-Hud: "I feel like I'm getting to be me. This is Jenny's world."

Totally fucking amazing. It seems to all make sense now, doesn't it? ("Not really" - Fantasia Barrino)

For my fifth and last contribution to the BBC Oscars Panel, in which I couldn't resist tipping my hat to both these divas, click here.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM, February 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love it how 'meh' the Oscars audience is, those two divas are battling it out... and they all could care less!
    Such a contrast to idol audiences.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, February 28, 2007, Blogger comicstriphero said…

    I laughed out loud when I saw Paula Abdul's arm in the sling.

    Whacked out on goof balls everyone. High as a kite.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, February 28, 2007, Blogger Scott said…

    CSH, did you SEE Paula in my post from last week? She gave one of the finest drug-fucked interview performances of the decade.

    I love me some Paula. Marcia could learn a little sumpin' sumpin' from that sister-girlfriend.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, March 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see Beyonce is on the SI Swimsuit cover.

    I emailed SI - suggesting they *try* to get Jennifer Hudson to pose for the 2008 Swimsuit Issue - at least in a one-piece.

    The obvious objection is that she's "fat". I would say fat in the best way - "phat"?

    Anyway, I hope Scott will pick this idea up and spread it around. It would be a big departure for SI to publish a few BBW pix - certainly JH is pretty enough.

    What do you think, Scott?

     
  • At 8:51 AM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Scott said…

    A great idea - provided she doesn't end up with cleavage up through her neck.

    Beyonce is only on that cover because she lost all her J-Lo curves to play the Dreamgirls role and hasn't put the weight back on.

    I hear that Kelly Rowland has released some material that puts Beyonce's latest output to shame - anyone heard it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home